The Chicory Kiln, Bacchus Marsh
This brick kiln, located near Bacchus Marsh, was built around 1885 for Messrs. Pearce Brothers, and was used for processing chicory roots, which once baked and ground are frequently used to complement or even wholly substitute coffee. The brick layer was J. F. Taylor, and carpentry was by Mr. Murphy. It was in operation for a relatively short period, being referred to 25 years later as an “unused chicory kiln” and “the old chicory kiln.” In the years following it was suggested that the building could be repurposed for tobacco leaf drying, fruit canning, or even housing an electricity plant. One wall contains advertising for Dr. Morse’s Indian Root Pills (“For the Liver”), with an older slightly different version of the ad showing through as the top coat of paint deteriorates. Today the area immediately surrounding the building is still used for agricultural purposes.