Another great stop off along the way …….
The Yallourn W power station commenced operations in 1974 with four generating units commissioned between 1974 and 1982. Yallourn W represents the last in a long line of generation plant at the Yallourn site, with initial power generation commencing in the mid 1920’s.
Every hour 2400 tonnes of brown coal is used to boil water into superheated steam to drive four turbine generators. These turbines have a combined rated capacity of 1480 megawatts of electricity which is enough to supply around two million homes. The power station employs a closed loop cooling system utilising hyperbolic cooling towers.